This startup secretly runs the internet - and it just got $43 million from Goldman Sachs to power the next wave of software
Nginx has raised $43 million in a round led by Goldman Sachs.
Nginx is tremendously popular - well over half of the busiest websites in the world rely on it as their web server software.
The plan now is to keep building out Nginx Plus, its offering for enterprises, which is growing fast.
The company says that an IPO may or may not happen, but it's focused mainly on continuing its 4-year streak of 100% year-over-year business growth.
You may never have heard of Nginx, pronounced "Engine-X," but it's almost certain that you've used its software - without even realizing it. After all, it's one of the startups that secretly runs the internet .
Nginx's flagship web server technology is incredibly popular, with 450 million websites using it, including sites operated by Netflix, McDonalds, and Starbucks. Indeed, Nginix is in use by 64% of the busiest web sites in the world. It's growing fast, too: those numbers are up from 150 million websites and 49.2% of the busiest sites in 2016, and still well ahead of leading...
The last Posts from "Business Insider"
- Johnson & Johnson tumbles after report says it knew for decades that its baby powder contained asbestos
- 2 companies just combined forces to create a massive chain of medical clinics that are changing the way Americans get healthcare
- An American college student was stabbed to death while studying abroad in the Netherlands
- The job market is so tight right now that some employers are relaxing drug policies, offering to pay student loans, and considering ex-cons
- The New York Stock Exchange reportedly used stand ins to make its trading floor look busier when trying to win Snap's IPO
- Nintendo's huge new 'Smash Bros.' game is the best one in years, and I can't stop playing it
- Prada pulls monkey-like trinkets after being accused of using 'blackface imagery'
- 30 trusted skincare gifts you can get on Amazon - just in time for Christmas
- Robinhood looks like it's trying to game the system with its new checking account that pays 3% interest
- It looks like Facebook is aggressively trying to expand its business beyond selling display ads
- People over 65 actually read faster than those in their 20s, and it could be because of 'computer vision syndrome'
- New Jersey Democrats want to make Republicans a permanent minority - and are getting accused of gerrymandering for it
- 7 great movies you can watch on Netflix this weekend
- 15 cool and unique tech gifts for kids that are also educational
- The towering political figures who died in 2018
- Daimler is trying to set the standard for EV batteries
- Global merchant card acceptance grew 13% in 2017
- LeBron James and the Lakers played defense with their hands behind their backs vs. the Rockets to protest foul calls
- The 20 front runners for the 2018 Miss Universe pageant crown
- One of the most tapped-in Apple analysts just slashed his iPhone XR sales estimates - again
The headlines of Business Mag
HOLD FAMILY A multiplayer network game for families
Spend more time with your family and less with your phone with the Hold Family app made by us! :)
SØVN Modern sleep tracking study
The Søvn app is a modern sleep tracker made by us for Bryggen Research AS! #mobile #iOS #android #portfolio
SØVN Modern sleep tracking study
Sears' and Kmart's sales increased for the first time in years - but it's...
Sears' and Kmart's sales increased for the first time in years in the last quarter - the same quarter that the brands' parent company filed for bankruptcy. Sears' same-store...
10 things you need to know before the opening bell
Here is what you need to know. Global markets are tumbling after weak data out of China. China's Shanghai Composite fell 1.7% after industrial production and retail sales data...
Facebook's latest privacy scandal: The private photos of millions of users...
Facebook found a bug that gave 1,500 third-party apps access to the unposted Facebook photos of 6.8 million users. Unposted Facebook photos affected include pictures uploaded...
The Dow drops 200 points after Chinese economic data sparks growth fears
Global equities fell Friday as disappointing economic data in China added to fears about slowing economic growth. The S&P 500 shed 4.6% last week, the most since March. Watch...
25 fun and useful gifts for photographers of all skill levels
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. Photography...
Commodities have been battered by the Trump-China trade war. And 2019...
Bloomberg's Commodity Index is down this year with some major commodities taking a hit in 2018. Prospects for improvement in 2019 could be slim, unless Chinese growth picks...
One of the most tapped-in Apple analysts just slashed his iPhone XR sales...
A widely followed Taiwan-based Apple analyst just cut his estimates on the iPhone XR. Ming-Chi Kuo, analyst with TF International Securities, wrote in a note that he was...
The 20 front runners for the 2018 Miss Universe pageant crown
Miss Universe is on its 67th year with a record-breaking 94 contestants. Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Philippines are projected front runners. Miss Ecuador and Miss Albania are...
Global merchant card acceptance grew 13% in 2017
This story was delivered to Business Insider Intelligence " Payments Briefing " subscribers hours before appearing on Business Insider. To be the first to know,
Facebook hosted a pop-up event in New York City for 1 day only to teach...
Facebook hosted a pop-up in New York City's Bryant Park for one day only on December 13. The pop-up aimed to educate users on how to manage their privacy settings and change...